Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Sensible Arrangement by Tracie Peterson Blog Tour Book Review

18059816 // A Sensible Arrangement //
 
Lone Star Brides // Book #1
 
By Tracie Peterson
 
Title: A Sensible Arrangement
Series: Lone Star Brides #1
Author: Tracie Peterson
Genre: Historical Christian Fiction
Number f Pages: 324
ISBN: 0764210580
Publisher: Bethany House
Publication Date: April 1st, 2014
Rating: Five out of five stars
 
// Book Synopsis //
 
Taken from GoodReads.com
 
"Marty Dandridge Olson is a widow looking for a way out of Texas. Widower Jake Wythe has secured a job as a bank manager in Denver, only to discover that the bank board wants him to be a married man. With Texas in his roots, he advertises for a Lone Star bride, and Marty answers the call. They both agree they are done with romance and love and will make this nothing more than a marriage of convenience.

Marty works to carve out a new life in high-society Denver as Jake works to guide the bank through a collapsing economy. But when money goes missing at the bank and accounting discrepancies point to Jake, he must find a way to prove his innocence. Yet all he wants to do is go back to Texas and own his own ranch. Marty, on the other hand, owns a ranch–one she’s never told her husband about. She hates Texas because it represents the losses in her life. But as the couple grows closer and love begins to bloom, Marty realizes she needs to tell Jake the truth. Can she come to terms with the past and her anger toward God in order to make room for love?"
 
// Book Review //
 
Put on your cowgirl boots and grab your pistol, getting ready to read an exciting western novel; in this new series from bestselling author Tracie Peterson! Filled with Christian values, excitement and plenty of southern charm, any southerner or fan of historical fiction with a nice bit of adventure will enjoy this novel and eagerly await the second installment in this new Lone Star Brides series!
 
Prior to reading A Sensible Arrangement, I'd never read any of Tracie Peterson's other novels, despite the fact there are several out there since A Sensible Arrangement marked Tracie's 100th novel to write! I didn't have high expectations for this book, and actually just requested to review/read it on a whim, thinking I'd give this new-to-me author a try. I'm so glad I did! I was very impressed with this novel, as well as Tracie's writing, and now look forward to being able to continue reading the next two books in the Lone Star Brides series!
 
This book is set in both Texas and Colorado, and even though it's mainly written from a Colorado backdrop, there was still plenty of southern aspects, and it definitely satisfied my love for southern novels involving cowboys, ranches and the like. I loved the Texan spunk that main character Marty had, and her unique encounter with bandits-and more importantly how she handled it! I also liked how Jake was a rancher at heart, and had that cowboy aspect to his character.
 
I was very pleased with the writing style of this novel. I could tell that Tracie Peterson is an experienced author by the way she described things. Her characters were well written, the plot well planned and penned, and things were constantly moving, keeping me turning pages! Her writing had a way of hinting at things in the story that make you ponder on what will happen, next with certain ideas for how things will turn out, and it added a lovely aspect to the reading experience.
 
Another thing I loved was the Christian influence in this novel. I love it when an author incorporates the Lord into the character's life, and you definitely see this with both Marty and Jake in this novel. There was not only great character development throughout the story, but also great spiritual growth throughout the length of this novel. I loved seeing how Marty learned to overcome her weakness and spiritual struggle with lying through the strength of the Lord.  However I did feel that at times the extent of her blatant lying before being saved was a bit of a disappointment. Especially the beginning of the book there were several big lies that Marty told, and I just felt like that was something that bugged me a bit. However I was glad to see that she repented at the end and made an effort to be more Christ like in her actions after being saved.
 
Another thing I really appreciated in this novel was how clean it was despite the couple being married from an early point in the book. While this book definitely is categorized under romance, it's very clean and Christ-honoring, and I loved how clean and honorable Marty and Jake's relationship was. Especially how Jake treated Marty with such respect and self-sacrifice for her good.
 
Overall I was very impressed with this book, and look forward to the next books in the Lone Star Brides series! I loved the Christian influence in this book, as well as the characters and writing style, and would recommend this book to fans of Tracie Peterson or westerns with a Christian influence.
 
D I S C L A I M E R :: I received a free copy of A Sensible Arrangement from the publisher through Litfuse Publicity Group, for the sole purpose of this review. I was not paid to read and write a review of this book, and all thoughts expressed in my review are my own; completely honest and unbiased.

iPad Mini Giveaway & A SENSIBLE ARRANGEMENT Live Webcast Event with Tracie Peterson!
 Win & RSVP!
Tracie Peterson A Sensible Arrangement

1 comments:

Matt Jones said...

If you enjoyed A Sensible Arrangement, you will love the 3rd book of Tracie’s Lone Star Brides series. Enjoy a giveaway put on by her publisher in celebration of “A Matter of Heart”! http://www.traciepetersonbooks.com/contests.html