Friday, March 22, 2013

Book Review :: Grave Consequences By Lisa T. Bergren

Y'all wanna know a little secret? Well, it's not so much a secret if you know me, but I really, really LOVE books! :) And one of my favorite authors is Lisa Tawn Bergren who is an excellent author, and well known for her River of Time Series. But seriously you guys, she is one of my favorite authors and I love her books, especially the River of Time series! If you haven't read her River of Time series then go get a copy of book number one, Waterfall, like really soon! It's sooooo good, as are the other books in the series: Cascade (#2), Torrent (#3), Bourne (#3.1), and Tributary (#3.2)! In fact I just found out that there is another River of Time book, Deluge (#4) coming out! SO so excited for that one! But anywho, now back to the original purpose of this post: I wanted to share with you guys my thoughts on Lisa's latest release Grave Consequences which is book number 2 in the Grand Tour Series! If you aren't familiar with Lisa's Grand Tour Series then you should check out book #1 Glamorous Illusions HERE over on Good Reads and you can read my review of it HERE!
 
Grave Consequences, Grand Tour Series #2//  A b o u t    T h e    B o o k  //
 
Grave Consequences
{Grand Tour Series Book #2}
By Lisa T. Bergren

 Publisher :: David C. Cook
Publication Date :: March 1st 2013
ISBN :: 143476432X
Number of Pages :: 448
My Rating :: 5 out of 5 stars
Taken From Good Reads:

For Cora Kensington, the journey of a lifetime takes unexpected twists. And her future—her very life—depends on the decisions she’ll make at each crossroad. As her European tour with her new found family takes her through Austria, France, and Italy, an unseen enemy trails close behind. Meanwhile, a forbidden love continues to claim her heart, putting everyone’s plans in danger. And as Cora stays one step ahead of it all, what might need the most protection is her own heart, torn between the dramatic pursuit of a dashing Frenchman and a man who has been quietly staking claim to her affections all along. Love has dangers all its own. She must escape the bonds of the past and discover the faith to make the right choices, as each one has grave consequences.
 
//  M y    R e v i e w  //
Grave Consequences (Grand Tour Series book #2) is for sure a must read if you've read Glamorous Illusions (Book 1) and enjoyed it! After reading Glamorous Illusions, I was very eager to continue the journey in Grave Consequences. Now that I've read it, I cannot wait for the final book in the series, Glittering Promises, to release in October 2013! Grave Consequences was for sure packed with lots of suspense, and had a nice touch with the history contained in the book, with neat facts about the places Cora and her siblings visited in their Grand Tour of Europe. It was a wonderful continuation to Glamorous Illusions, and while by the end, most of the answers were answered, there are still a few that make you eager for book three in October! 

I really enjoyed getting to know the characters from book 1 better, and seeing the character development as they grew and were faced with various situations in the story. Especially Cora who was doing some soul searching as she was still getting used to the idea of this "other life" she just learned about, when finding out the father she had grown up with wasn't in fact, her real father. I also enjoyed reading about how things worked out for Cora with her two suitors from Glamorous Illusions, Will and Pierre.

Romance-wise this book was a bit different from most historical fictions that I've read in the past, since it got started with the attraction between Cora and the two suitors from the get-go. This was mainly because it's a continuation of Glamorous Illusions, which focuses on the stage of getting to know each other. I felt like Grave Consequences was more romantic that Glamorous Illusions since this book was sort of the stage where the couple is having feelings for each other and it's more obvious that they like each other than it was in the previous book. Another crazy thing that greatly added to the story was how Cora was being pursued by two suitors which kinda complicates things. :) Especially since one of the guys is super rich, and the other isn't as well of, but still able to support himself well. But throw in a fathers demand for you to marry well, if not for love and you've got Cora's situation. As far as how romantic the story got, there were a small amount of kissing parts, but I don't remember it going any farther.

As for the story-line, it was very well planned and written. I loved how the book started out with action and never stopped until the end. Sometimes I read books that will have dry points in between exciting parts of the story, and it makes it less enjoyable to read. But Grave Consequences didn't have any of this and had so many unique and memorable scenes that were fast paced and exciting! This was probably one of my favorite things about the book, since it wasn't ever dull or boring and kept my attention.

I loved Grave Consequences and cannot wait to read Glittering Promises! Grave Consequences didn't have near as big of a cliff-hanger ending like Glamorous Illusions did, but still had some questions and things left to be answered in the next book, making me eager to read it once it comes out! Overall, I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to ladies who enjoy historical fiction with lots of suspense and a nice amount of romance. However I'd recommend that before reading Grave Consequences you read Glamorous Illusions, book 1 first if you haven't already, as this if for sure a series that has to be read in order.

*Note: I received a free copy of Grave Consequences from the publisher to read and review, and was not paid to do so. All thoughts expressed in my review are completely honest.*

4 comments:

Sierra said...

Books rule :) I read the first book and I'm excited to get my hands on this one!! I have the first two books in the River Of Time series but I haven't read them yet...*hangs head* But I know they're certain to be good, if not great :D

b3 beader said...

I saw this series and was wanting to read it.. thank you for doing this review, Bethany (Please do one on Glittering Promises when you read it)!

Hannah said...

Hi Bethany!
Thanks so much for entering my giveaway and mentioning about it on your lovely blog. I really enjoyed reading your comment about your favorite reason to write letters. :)
Hope you're having a wonderful day.
~Hannah

Paula Phillips said...

Hi , Ive just finished reading this :) Im a new follower and feel free to check out my site
www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com and God Bless.
PS - If you enjoyed this , then check out Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey series as I found them quite similiar.