Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Book Review :: Winning Balance By Shawn Johnson

Winning Balance: What I've Learned So Far About Love, Faith, and Living Your DreamsWinning Balance
By Shawn Johnson
With Nancy French
 
Publisher :: Tyndale House
Year of Publication :: 2012
ISBN :: 1414372108
Number of Pages :: 224
My Rating :: 3.5 out of 5 stars
 
Book Description :: You’ve seen her perform gravity-defying gymnastics moves. You’ve seen her win Olympic medals in Beijing and the coveted mirror ball trophy on Dancing with the Stars. You’ve also seen her land on her feet—with her trademark smile—even when things haven’t gone her way.
Despite achieving more success and celebrity in her first two decades than most people experience in a lifetime, things haven’t been easy for Olympic gold medalist Shawn Johnson. Her first gymnastics coach told her family she lacked talent. Her modest upbringing in Iowa made elite competition unlikely. Although she won four medals at the Beijing Olympics, she was denied the big prize she’d dreamed of—the all-around gold medal. She had a terrifying experience with a stalker and would-be kidnapper. And after suffering a potentially career-ending injury, Shawn ultimately had to rethink what was truly important. What did she want most in life? What kind of success was worth pursuing? Would she ever find true faith, lasting hope, and real love?

In Winning Balance, for the first time Shawn reveals her journey so far: her against-the-odds quest to become a gymnastics world champion, her flirtation with Hollywood glamour, her growing faith, and her struggle to find herself. It’s the full, behind-the-scenes story of how a young woman who won Olympic gold on the balance beam learned new lessons about balance— as well as love, faith, and what winning really means.
 
To watch the book trailor for Winning Balance on You Tube click HERE!
Or click HERE to listen to Shawn read the intro and first chapter of winning Balance!
 
My Review ::
Ever since I had heard about Olympic gymnastic, Shawn Johnson's new book, I looked forward to reading it. I love watching gymnastics, and Shawn's no exception as she is clearly gifted in the sport. Since I love reading memoirs, I was very eager to read this one. While their were a few things I didn't really relate to, or would have done myself, (such as her Dancing With The Stars experience, I personally would want more modest dances and attire, but that's just me) I enjoyed reading her story. Even though I'd never want such a lifestyle, as it is clearly stress-filled, I enjoyed reading about what it's like and enjoyed all the little snippets about her life that you wouldn't know otherwise.


One thing I did notice to be a bit different was how, even though Shawn claims to be a follower of Christ, she didn't go to church as a child, nor did she know the basic fact of the Bible, such as Jesus's father's name, Joseph. I just find it a bit odd that one claims to follow Christ, yet doesn't know His father's name. However she does say she attended church as an adult, and I hope that her faith has been able to grow more since her childhood. She speaks in the book about the lessons God has taught her through her experiences, which was nice to read.

I enjoyed reading about all the dedication and work that goes into becoming an Olympic medalist. I knew it was hard, but didn't quite comprehend just how much goes into such a goal. While reading the book, I could see how Shawn dearly wanted to do well in gymnastics and saw how dedicated she was to her sport. I got inspired to be dedicated to what God has gifted me with, and feel life certain goal are now more reachable having seen how Shawn has achieved much more than maybe my goal might be.

I would recommend this autobiography to any girls who like gymnastics, autobiographies, or to those who have seen Shawn perform and want to know more about her. She was very honest in the book about struggles and triumphs, and I'm very glad I was able to read this book. I enjoyed it and considered it well worth my time. I read it in a little over 24 hours, so this would probably tell you how interesting I found it to be. :)

I would like to thank Tyndale publishers for providing me with a free e-copy of Winning Balance by Shawn Johnson, to review. All thoughts are 100% honest, and my own.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, I'd not seen this book before! Thank you Bethany for your excellent review! :D

I'm interested in reading this myself and learning more about her life and her faith...and I passed your review on to a friend who used to do some gymnastics and likes the sport a lot. :)

Blessings!
~Rachel~

Heidi Anne said...

Sounds like a good book.