Monday, October 8, 2012

Book Review :: My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century


My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century
 My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century
By Rachel Harris

Publisher :: Entangled Publishing
Publication Date :: 2012
ISBN-13 :: 9781620611357
Number of Pages :: 304
Book Description ::


On the precipice of her sixteenth birthday, the last thing lone wolf Cat Crawford wants is an extravagant gala thrown by her bubbly stepmother and well-meaning father. So even though Cat knows the family’s trip to Florence, Italy, is a peace offering, she embraces the magical city and all it offers. But when her curiosity leads her to an unusual gypsy tent, she exits . . . right into Renaissance Firenze.

Thrust into the sixteenth century armed with only a backpack full of contraband future items, Cat joins up with her ancestors, the sweet Alessandra and protective Cipriano, and soon falls for the gorgeous aspiring artist Lorenzo. But when the much-older Niccolo starts sniffing around, Cat realizes that an unwanted birthday party is nothing compared to an unwanted suitor full of creeptastic amore. Can she find her way back to modern times before her Italian adventure turns into an Italian forever?

My Review ::
I was very surprised with this book, since it wasn't at all what I was expecting. I have read The River of Time Series and it has a very similar plot to My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century. They both are about a teen girl who travels back in time to ancient Italy and finds romance there. So I kind of has this idea of what this book would be like, based off the previous related books I had read by another author.

But unfortunately, I found several things that I didn't really care for, agree with, or support in this book. I'm assuming the author isn't a christian by the way this book was written with the worldy viewpoint. Personally, I try to stay away from books with bad language, and I was extremely dissapointed to find that this book had quite an abundance of words I'd rather not have stuck in my head. There was quite a few of them, and I think that really lessened my value and respect for the book. Another thing I noticed was there were several scenes I felt uncomfortable with and wouldn't have wanted to read aloud.

This book has a nice plot, but it just wasn't for me being the way it was written and the frequent language. If anyoone out there is interested in this book I suggest you look into it seriously before reading it, to know what you are reading. Just know that it was not written with a christian mindset, and that there is quite a bit if language.

I would like to thank the publisher and Rachel Harris for my free e-copy of My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century which was sent to me for review purposes. I was not paid for this review. All thoughts are my own, 100% honest, and were not based off the book being free.


1 comments:

Rachelle said...

Hi! I just found your blog through a friend and I love it already! I'm a former gymnast and appreciated your review of Shawn Johnson's book. And this one I just *had* to comment on because I've been wanting to read it (I <3 the River of Time, too!) but now I'm not sure I will. Thank you so much for this honest review and this blog! I know I'll be coming back.

Blessings,
Rachelle