Monday, August 27, 2012

Book Review :: This Scarlet Cord By Joan Wolf

Hello ladies! Today I've got another book review for you all! I hope you aren't getting too tired of them! :) As you can probably see, I love to read and how that you find my reviews helpful! Today I'll be reviewing a wonderful book called This Scarlet Cord by Joan Wolf, which is a fiction story based on the story of Rahab in the Bible!

About The Book ::

Publisher :: Thomas Nelson
Source :: BookSneeze.com Book Review Program
Publication Date :: 2012
ISBN :: 1595548777
Number of Pages :: 320
My Rating :: 3.5 out of 5 stars
Age Recommendation :: For girls 15+

A chasm lies between Rahab and her beloved Sala that can never be crossed.
Though Sala rescues young Rahab from slave bandits, he knows he can never fall in love with a
Canaanite. His belief in the One True God prevents them from a future together. Rahab's beauty
gains royal notice, and she is selected to entice the King during the annual sacred marriage
reenactment praising their pagan god, Baal.
But when the King suffers a heart attack and dies, Rahab is saved from the humiliating act. Her
despair drives her curiosity about Sala's One True God. Could He accept her . . . even love her?
Deceit and pride stand in the way of Rahab's happy ending. Only God can use these events to tell
the larger story of forgiveness and redemption. {Description from GoodReads.com}

My Review ::
I have always enjoyed fiction books based on events found in the Bible, and was excited to be able to review a copy of This Scarlet Cord which is a fiction story based on the story of Rahab, who was later on, the mother of Boaz and later is found in Jesus genealogy in Matthew. I give it 3.5 stars and enjoyed it!

Pros ::
This book was very informative and really helped me realize what Rahab's life was like, and how it felt to live in a pagan culture. There isn't much detail about her life in the Bible, but Joan's story has helped me to begin to understand what it was like to live back in those days were things were done much differently than it is today! I loved seeing how Rahab gave up her pagan gods and placed her trust and faith in the One True God throughout the story, and think it added to the overall pleasure of reading the story. There was just enough romance in this story to make it enjoyable, but not over done and it was a sweet story. The story had a lot about the events that took place in the book of Joshua, were God's people were finished wandering in the wilderness for 40 years and were ready to march around the wall of Jericho and take over the city, to go into the promised land. I think Joan did a great job portraying Rahab's life and faith, and enjoyed this book.

I loved seeing how Rahab and Sala got to know one another and how Sala shared his faith in the Lord with Rahab, and how they eventually began to have feeling for each other. There romance was sweet, and I really enjoyed reading it. 

Cons ::
This story is not only about Rahab, but also about her pagan faith, at the beginning of the story. Rahab believes Baal to be her "god" at first, and there were lots of different customs for pagans back in the day. Prostitution was a very big thing for them and is mentioned several times in the book. We are told in the Bible that Rahab is a prostitute, before coming to know Jesus, so there is a portion of the story about this part of her life. So this book is better for a mature reader, I don't like to put a age on it, since it depends on the maturity level of the reader, but probably around 15+, or whatever your parents are alright with.

Another thing I found, was that though the author seemed to do research on the time period before writing the book, I didn't find many descriptive things in the story that helped you remember that the story was placed in Bible times. For example: their clothing, the food they ate, etc. Other than the mention of their pagan couture, their homes, and city, there wasn't any little details that reminded me constantly what time period you were in. I didn't find this terribly annoying, only a tiny bit, and really don't even consider it a con, but thought I'd mention it. I did seem to remember quite well throughout the story that it was set in Bible times, but think that little details would have enhanced it. However it certainly isn't a reason to avoid the book altogether.

Overview ::
Overall, this was a good biblical time period romance novel focusing on God's grace and a story of one girl's salvation. I would recommend it to girls who like romance novels places in Biblical times, who are okay with reading bits about the prostitution in that time period. I enjoyed this book and give it 3.4 stars.

NOTE: I received a e-book copy of This Scarlet Cord, free of charge, from BookSneeze.com for the purpose of reading and reviewing it. I was not required to give an honest review, if I didn't like it, and all thoughts are my own and 100 percent honest. I was not paid to do this review, and the fact that I got a free book for this review did not affect my thoughts of the book or my given review.

0 comments: