Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Though The Bud Be Bruised Book Review

Today I have a  book review for you ladies! I'd recently found out about a wonderful website called BookCrash.com were they have a review program set up for bloggers were you can review free copies of Christian books! I eagerly signed up since I love to read and love to host product reviews and was very excited about reviewing their books. The first book I choose to review was titled Though The Bud Be Bruised and today I'm here to share with you my thoughts on the book!

About The Book ::
Title: Though The Bud Be Bruised
Author :: Jo Wanmer
Publisher: Even Before Publishing
Number of Pages :: 281
Version :: Paperback
Source :: Book Crash Review Program
Age Group :: 16+
ISBN :: 978-1-922074-07-2

This is an Australian Christian fiction novel that is based on a true story, written by Jo Wanmer. The story is about the Heymer family, and their 13 year old daughter, Isobel. In the beginning of the story we learn that Isobel has been suffering secret abuse from her family's "friends" for several years, and that her parents are unaware that  their "friends" the P's are using their friendship and Christianity merely for access to their daughter. A few chapters into the book the man who was molesting Isobel,  Harry P. commits suicide {I'll spare you the gory details, you would thank me} and even though Harry is no longer living on this earth, Isobel and her family still have a difficult time forgiving and recovering from the abuse that was deceptively planned out behind their backs. While Harry was still abusing girls, he professed faith in Jesus Christ and regularly attended church and Wednesday night Bible studies. The Heymer family had a hard time grasping whether Harry's Christianity was real or fake, and wonders if his wife, Mae is still a Christian herself. 

The Book Review ::
I would like to start by telling you one thing: I did not realize that the book I'd be reviewing would be about a molested girl and her family. If I'd have known this before hand I'd have never chosen to review this book. I'm very disappointed that the description provided on the website wasn't more detailed. 

      There was more than one thing I didn't agree with theologically. Even though this book is a Christian one coming from a Christian review website, I found their beliefs to be different than mine. For one there was a certain part were Zara, felt like God was "telling her" that Mae, the wife of Harry, the abuser, was a witch who was praying curses on her daughter, thus causing the abuse. I don't want to get into any sort of witchcraft at all so I'd rather avoid the subject all together. 

    The other example is were Zara, the mother felt like she had done something wrong in forgiving Harry, her daughters abuser. She felt like God was telling her she should have not forgiven Harry, but that she should have been angry with him and not forgiven him at all. So she prayed to God asking Him to forgive her for forgiving Harry. I didn't really agree with this and felt a bit uncomfortable reading the above examples of areas of the book I didn't agree with or support the opinions expressed therein. 

   As far as the writing style goes, the writing was good and easy to read for the most part, but there were times it was a bit hard to follow the story line. Overall I'd not recommend this book for young readers, and for those who may consider reading this book, you might want your parents approval first. 

I'd like to thank Book Crash for allowing me to review a free copy of this book, even though I wasn't pleased with the content. I may be reviewing more books from them in the future, but you can rest assured I will put more research into finding out exactly what I will be reading before requesting to review it. I hope that you all have a wonderful day!
Disclaimer :: received this book free from the publisher through the BookCrash.com book review program, which requires an honest, though not necessarily positive, review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s CFR Title 16, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

4 comments:

Jo Wanmer said...

Hi Bethany

Thank you for taking time to write such a comprehensive review of my book. I apologise for misleading you re the contents of the book. My publisher and I will review the information and description.

I am very concerned that you felt the Lord's name was being used in vain. That was never my intention. I love the Lord deeply and would never use His name in vain. As I'm from Australia, I'm wondering if it is a cultural issue. Also I'm not aware of any cuss words. I do know that some words mean different things in other English speaking countries.

As I scroll though my book looking at the word 'God', I realise how you could perceive I used it in vain. In the Book Zara is praying. When she calls God, it is a form of prayer, a serious part of the book. Instead of stopping to pray, closing her eyes and saying 'Dear Father', she prays frequently in the middle of her dramas in a conversational manner. She calls out His name.

The books ends with such victory. I'm sorry you didn't get to see the miracle of restoration the Lord worked.

I love your page. It is so artistic and beautiful.

Blessings
Jo

Bethany said...

Hello Jo,

Thank you for commenting on my review of your book. I am sorry if my review offended you. I am the sort of person that desires to not hurt anyones feelings but still be honest and truthful, especially with my reviews and I hope I acomplished this in my review of your book. I appologize if I have hurt your feelings in any way, please realize this was not my intention.

When I noted that the Lords name was used in vain I was refering to the comment made by Issys boyfriend when he said "_od your beautiful" I never considered Zaras prayers as using the Lords name in vain since she was truly crying out to Him for help and was not using it with intentions of using it in vain. In America many people use the Lords name in vain carelessly and often so I guess this has made me sensetive toward the Lords name being used in vain in books.

Although there are some things I didn't agree with in the book, primarily the part about Mae being a witch and about Zaras forgivness for forgiving Harry, I admire your genuine desire to make sure the words in your book are honorable and pleassing to the Lord...I just interpreted it differently. I trust that your book can be a blessing for those who have gone through mental abuse, however for me personally I never have gone through that so I can't relate to the story as some may. The book doesn't really fit in the category of books I nornally read so I hope I gave a good review being that I've not read related books.

I have decided to finish reading your book as I realize it was not fair of me to give a complete review without having done otherwise. I may consider carefully revising my review if I have different thoughts on the book as a whole after finishing it. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with me.

Blessings,
Bethany

Jo Wanmer said...

Thanks Bethany.
I wasn't offended, but wondering Thanks for the clarification. Yes, In Australia too, the Lord's name in vain far too much and I should have edited that phrase. Being a true story, I related it as it happened. Obviously I've become desensitised.
Once again I'm sorry to have mis- represented the story and caused you grief. The aim of my book is to bring awareness of what is happening in so many girls lives. One in four girls are abuse in Australia. The figure is about the same in US. Most Christians don't realise the figure is close to the same in our church communities.
Thanks Bethany. I appreciate the opportunity to talk to you :) Jo

Anonymous said...

Hi Bethany,
I was disturbed to read your review of 'Though the Bud be Bruised'. When you use the term 'molested girl' it comes across as though you think of her as a leper, as though she is the cause of the distress she is going through; and as though all that you would see of this person if you met her in the street is 'damaged goods', unclean.

My response to this book was that it was about time someone was brave enough to address such a painful, tragic situation. There are many women in our churches struggling to overcome the trauma of childhood abuse, an almost taboo topic in our churches. For this subject to be raised in this book is commendable.

Though the Bud be Bruised may not be an easy read, it is not the saccharine sweetness that sadly our churches so often want life to be like, but it is factual. And I am sure it will help address the complex issue of child sexual abuse - even though it may not fit your doctrines.

Bless you, Bethany.